ARE YOU ANXIOUS ABOUT VISITING THE DENTIST?
At Taylor Street Dental, we are experienced in working with anxious patients who feel very nervous. We’ll talk to you about any fears you have and make sure we do whatever we can to make you feel comfortable. We also have technologies that will help you overcome anxiety at the dental appointments.
If you are feeling very anxious at the thought of treatment, you can choose to have sedation to make you feel more relaxed or we use a Digital Anaestheic system called “The Wand”
We find that after having sedation in their first dental session, patients experience much less anxiety when it comes to any following appointments. Many patients even feel that they don’t need any more sedation, and feel comfortable with us in the clinic.
TYPES OF SEDATION
When you have sedation, you will be awake but feel much more relaxed.
There are three sedation methods:
- Oral sedation
- Gas sedation (Happy Gas / Nitrous Oxide)
- Intravenous sedation (Administered by a sedation specialist)
BENEFITS OF SEDATION
- Feeling nervous about dental treatment should not mean that you can’t get the treatment you need to look after your oral health.
- Sedation is safe and can effectively reduce your feelings of anxiety throughout treatment.
- Undergoing your first treatment feeling more relaxed can help you to feel more comfortable at following appointments.
THE WAND – DIGITAL ANAESTHETIC
The Wand is a type of digital anaesthesia. This means that the delivery of the anaesthesia is controlled electronically. But what makes it more effective than a traditional syringe?
Lots of people feel some level of anxiety before dental treatment. Often it’s not the procedure itself that makes them feel nervous, it’s the injection that comes before the treatment begins.
HOW IS THE WAND DIFFERENT?
- IT’S PRECISE
Using the Wand, we can numb a very small, very specific area of your mouth – or even just one tooth. You can say goodbye to having a numb mouth or lips for half a day after treatment is over and get back to normal much more quickly.
- IT LOOKS DIFFERENT
The Wand is designed to look much friendlier than a syringe! It’s often the sight of the needle that might make you start feeling nervous, and this new shape removes some of that anxiety.
- IT’S COMFORTABLE
The unique shape of the needle and the digitally controlled injection rate makes the Wand much more comfortable than a traditional syringe and the injection barely noticeable.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I AM FEELING ANXIOUS
ABOUT MAKING AN APPOINTMENT?
- Our advice would be to book a simple consultation to come and chat with us.
- We can walk you through what we have in our clinic and how the treatment will work.
- We will explain the choices, what to expect and have a chance to discuss your concerns with us.
- We have specific processes to help you deal with your fears and make you feel comfortable.